This ‘Impact From Home’ session features Vincent Cornelissen, Secretary International Division of the Netherlands Water Partnership (NWP) and Project Manager of the Young Experts Programme (YEP) Water.
It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the scale of the challenges that our planet faces. We must, therefore, refocus our attention on the interventions that simultaneously catalyse progress in multiple challenges. And there can be no stronger building block than clean water.
Water creates social, economic, environmental and political inter-dependencies that make cooperation a precondition to sustainable development and peace. The Netherlands is known for its leading water-related expertise. Yet as the world is rocked by COVID-19 and an escalating climate crisis, how is the progress on clean water and sanitation for all being affected? And what is The Netherlands doing to keep the global water sector on track? This session discusses:
- An overview of the Dutch water sector and global partnerships
- Why SDG 6 should sit at the center of all impact plans
- The Netherlands’ SDG 6 targets (action plans and progress)
- How COVID-19 has affected the global Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) sector
- Valuing water as an economic good and human right
This session is kindly hosted by Viviane Cavalcanti of Phenix Capital.